Take Action . . .
One of our principal philosophies at COARE is that everyone has the power to make a difference.
We encourage you to be as involved as possible, and applaud those who choose to take more active roles or work in the field . . . but you can make a difference, now and today, with the following suggestions:
- Never buy products like seashells or dried seastars. These animals are often taken in unsustainable quantities and are killed for ornamental purposes.
- Never buy products that come from endangered or threatened species and tell your family and friends to avoid them as well.
- Avoid food that comes from endangered species, like shark fin or turtle soup.
- Do not patronize any restaurant serving turtle or shark fin soup. On your way out, politely inform the management about your reasons for leaving.
- Avoid eating shrimp – most are fished/farmed in extremely destructive ways.
- When dining out or patronizing a bar, refuse to accept drinks in a plastic cup.
- Recycling is good, but remember, it comes last in the expression "Reduce-Reuse-Recycle". Avoid single-use plastic containers and single-use bags as much as you can.
- If you choose to eat seafood, make selections that are sustainably fished or raised. The Monterey Bay Aquarium offers regional and national Seafood Watch pocket guides.
- Support sustainable businesses and let them know that you appreciate their efforts.
- If you scuba dive or snorkel, seek non-threatening interactions with sharks and other animals. Your tourist dollars help affirm to the local economy the value of living creatures.
- Help dispel common myths about sharks by speaking up when you hear people talking about them in a negative manner.
- Help support legislation to ban the sale and trade of shark fins, like California's Aseembly Bill (AB) 376. Click here for more information.
- Use your own mug when buying your morning coffee/tea. This saves natural resources, reduces plastic debris (all those lids!), and keeps your drink warmer!
- When flying, use your own mug for beverage service. Forgot your mug? - at least keep and reuse the cup they give you for subsequent servings.
- When at a bar or restaurant, order your drink without a straw. Plastic straws are not recyclable, are slow to decompose, and often end up as debris in our oceans. Yes, you should apply this standard to bar drinks as well.
- If you order food to go, tell them you'll bring your own bag, and remind them not to include plasticware. (One day, there will be a new standard and you won't need to remind them.) Better yet, tell them you'll also be bringing your own containers.
- Reheating food in the microwave? Cover things with a plate instead of plastic wrap.
- When shopping, you're already bringing your own bag, but you have a great opportunity to influence the people in line around you. Discourage them from accepting unnecessary bags as well.
- Pay attention to where and how you continue to use plastic - and do what you can to reduce that.
- Tell your friends about COARE.
Interested in being more involved? Join our team of volunteers.